GET OUT THE VOTE (GOTV): The key to Democratic victories
Haverford Democrats have knocked on (and opened) thousands of doors in the last 3 weeks. Our neighbors have been notably talkative this canvassing season, anxious to discuss political hopes and fears, interested in candidates’ literature, asking for yard signs. These front-porch conversations will continue in all our wards for another 2 weeks.
Weekends of October 27-28 & November 3-4: this is the final push to GOTV.
- No door-knocking
- Just dropping Remember-to-Vote cards printed with sample ballot.
- Walking a “turf” of 30-40 houses is a 2-hour contribution to 2018 Blue Wave
- Contact your Ward Leader if you want to help GOTV
Phone calls DO help GOTV!
- Want to call Dems to remind them to vote?
- Email our local field director, Brianna Cole at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for a 2-hour shift any weekday evening.
Want a Scanlon yard sign?
- Email our local field director, Brianna Cole at email@example.com with your address.
- Every effort is being made to distribute these signs.
Upcoming Scanlon Events
Democratic Candidate Forum
When: Wednesday, October 10,7:30-9:30 p.m.
Where: Swarthmore College, Science Center 101
Who: Mary Gay Scanlon, Leanne Krueger-Braneky, & Tim Kearney
Why: Scanlon will be talking about what Democratic majorities could accomplish with Krueger-Braneky, Rep. to State Assemby from the 161st district, and Swarthmore Mayor Tim Kearney, candidate for State Senate from District 26.
ONE-and-ONLY DEBATE: Scanlon v. Kim
When: Thursday, October 25, 7:00-8:00 p.m.
Where: Delco Community College, 901 Media Line Road
Large Auditorium in “Academic Building.” Consult Campus Map
Auditorium is on 2nd/Entry-level floor.
What: League of Women Voters sponsoring debate between Mary Gay and Pearl Kim, the Republican-Who-Doesn’t-SAY-She’s-a-Republican on her website or in her ads.
Why: Show your support for Scanlon by attending this one debate of the campaign.
Training for Dems Working at Polls on Nov. 6
If you are an “inside” election official: Judge of Elections, Inspector, Machine Operator or Clerk:
- Delco Bureau of Elections Training Day options:
- Thursday, November 1, at 6:00 p.m. or
- Saturday, November 3, at 9:00 a.m.
- Saturday, November 3, at 11:00 a.m.
- At 201 W. Front Street, Media, PA. 19063 (near entrance to court house)
- Haverford Township Democratic Party Training session:
- Saturday, October 20, 9:00-11:00 a.m.
- At Haverford Township Library, Community Room.
*If you are an “inside” worker but cannot attend a Delco training, you are welcomed to attend the HTDems’ training. Joan Tarka will prep you for your important work.
Haverford Township Democrats’ Fall Fundraiser!!!!
When: Saturday, October 13, 1:30-3:30
Where: At the home of Arlin Green and Paula Yudenfriend Green, 21 Turnbridge Road, Haverford
RSVP: via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Join us and special guest Mary Gay Scanlon, our 5th Congressional District candidate.
Mary Gay is coming to meet all of us AND to help us raise vital ‘seed’ money to support local Democratic candidates running for Township Commissioner in 2019. Yes, it’s time to plan on turning the Commission blue -– and Mary Gay knows it.
Contribution levels: $1,000 Hosts $250 Sponsors $100 Supporters $50 Committee & H-CAN
Can’t attend but want to contribute to our 2019 Victory Fund? Make out your check to Haverford Township Democratic Committee. Mail to Haverford Democrats, P.O. Box 740, Havertown, PA. 19083. If you will be attending, you can give your contribution at the door.
PLEASE RSVP by September 30, so we know how much wine we need! RSVP via email to email@example.com
Voting Absentee? October 30 is the 'application' deadline.
Pennsylvania makes voting absentee far more difficult than it is in most other states. Don’t be fooled by the close-to-election due dates. Waiting til the last minute can make your ballot too late to be counted. Follow these steps NOW!
- Download absentee ballot application
- Fill out and mail completed application form to: Bureau of Elections, Government Center Building, 201 W. Front Street, Media, PA 19063
- When filling out the form, you must include street address and township. Your “Election District” means your ward & precinct. If you don’t know, you can leave blank. Or find out on our website!
- If this is the first time you are voting, you need to send a copy of your driver’s license.
- Deadline is 5:00 pm Tues, Oct 30, 2018. But don’t wait. APPLY NOW!
- County Board of Elections will mail you a paper ballot in October.
- The application allows you to give the address where you will be in October.
- Mail completed absentee ballot back to the County Board of Elections: Bureau of Elections, Government Center Building, 201 W. Front Street, Media, PA 19063
- Deadline to return in order to be counted is 5:00 pm Friday, Nov 2, 2018. But don’t wait! RETURN ASAP!
Curious about why Pennsylvania ranks in America’s top 4 for missed deadline as cause of rejected ballot? Read "Pa.’s Absentee Ballot Problem" from The Inquirer.
Township Commissioners Meetings
Our township commissioners are now meeting in the NEW Administration Building at 2014 Darby Road. Come check out the new space!
Haverford Township Commissioners hold a “working” meeting on the first Monday of the month and a “regular” meeting (where they vote) on the second Monday of each month, 7:00-9:00 p.m. Both meetings are open to the public.
Here’s the township's official calendar for all upcoming meetings, including the Zoning Board and Planning Commission meetings.
Video of the regular monthly Township Commissioner meetings is available on Haverford Township's YouTube channel.